Homemade Cobbler Pastry
Foster family recipe
Contributed by squeedle
1 c flour, sifted 1/8 tsp fresh baking powder
1/8 tsp salt 3 tbs milk.
1/4 c shortening (1/2 Crisco, 1/2 margarine)
Approx 2-3 cups of berries or chopped fruit (enough to fill up the pan)
- Sift dry ingreds together.
- Take 1/2 of shortening & cut or squeeze with hands until well distributed, i.e. has consistency of cornmeal.
- Take 2nd 1/2 of shortening & mix likewise until reaching pea-size lumps.
- Add milk 1 tbs at a time (in case weather is humid; may need more in dry climates) until pastry just holds together. It should not be sticky.
- Cover a cutting board or pastry cloth in flour, & cover rolling pin in flour.
- Roll dough into ball & dump onto cutting board.
- Make 6 impressions in dough ball with hand like this:
| | |
- Starting in the middle, roll dough to fit 8″x10″x2″ or square 9″x9″x2″ pan s.t. the pastry will fit bottom & still drop over sides.
- After placing pastry in pan, mound fruit in the center.
- Fold in pastry over fruit, leaving a center opening.
- Sprinkle the opening with flour, sugar, & 1 tbs butter.
- Bake @ 450 for 20-25 mins. Watch the cobbler because a glass pan will bake the cobbler more quickly.